Common Symptoms Following Traumatic Brain Injury

The following is a list of symptoms that are common in people who have suffered traumatic brain injury. A person who suffers from a number of these symptoms has not necessarily suffered brain damage. Many of these symptoms can be explained not only by traumatic brain injury but by other conditions such as chronic pain, sleep deprivation, and other neurological disorders. Diagnosis should be left to the hands of a competent neuropsychologist or medical doctor who has experience in working with people who have suffered brain injury.

Among those individuals who have suffered mild traumatic brain injury or postconcussional syndrome, about 90% will have their symptoms resolve within six months to two years from the time of the traumatic incident. In the remaining 10%, the symptoms will persist and the patient will have reached maximum medical improvement within two years of the date of the traumatic incident.

Emotional & Behavioral Symptoms

  • Irritability
  • Poor Frustration Tolerance
  • Anxiety
  • Depression

Cognitive Symptoms

  • Fatigue, Loss of Energy
  • Slowed Thinking
  • Poor Concentration
  • Forgetfulness

Somatic Symptoms

  • Poor Coordination, Clumsiness
  • Feeling Dizzy
  • Loss of Balance
  • Nausea
  • Vision Problems, Blurring
  • Loss of/Increased Appetite

Sensory Symptoms

  • Sensitivity to Noise
  • Sensitivity to Light

Other Symptoms

  • Headaches
  • Difficulty Falling Asleep
  • Numbness in Parts of the Body
  • Difficulty Hearing
  • Change in Taste/Smell

Contact Steve Gerdes